Darius Rucker has been taking a brief rest before returning to the stage for his 45-date international tour. However, being on vocal rest hasn't stopped him from getting vocal about scammers online.
This past Saturday, the country-rock singer reshared a post from an account on X that was impersonating him. He said, "Yo don't you have anything better to do than try to scam people. U guys are the friggin worse. U are not me and have to nothing to do with me. Friggin losers man!!"
One user also tagged Rucker in a post, directing him to an account that claimed to be his "official private Twitter account." Rucker responded by saying, "No. Everyone this is my only account. Don't have a personal account or anybody who works for me, including my kids, will not have an account that will ask u for money. They are scammers."
Darius Rucker Is Not the First To Deal With Online Scammers
Celebrities like Johnny Depp, Jim Carrey, and Blake Shelton have also been victims of online impersonators. In January 2024, a social media user from Alabama reportedly lost over $350,000 to a scammer pretending to be Depp. In 2024, specifically with Depp, there were more than 197 reports of fake accounts messaging users and requesting money, according to Rolling Stone.
Blake Shelton also got a taste of this back in 2022, when a video of him promoting a giveaway of $2100 crossbows started circulating on Instagram. The video, which was fabricated, directed users to a scam website where they could input their credit card information.
Scammers typically target users who comment on their favorite celebrities' posts, claiming to be that celebrity. These types of direct messages are most common on apps like Facebook and X, and often result in financial exploitation. The moral of the story is that if you see Blake Shelton asking for money in your inbox, chances are it's not Blake Shelton.
After Clapping Back Online, He's Ready To Get Back on Tour
Amidst dealing with online scammers, Rucker has also been preparing to get back out on tour after stopping his set in Atlantic City last week.
After just three songs, the 59-year-old addressed the crowd, saying, "Y'all I can't sing anymore. I will play one more song. I promise you we're going to figure this out." Rucker ended his set with "Wagon Wheel", and most of the crowd sang back to him in support.
His publicist, Ebie McFarland, said in an interview with US TODAY that "Following his vocal rest, Rucker has been cleared to resume shows." The singer returned to his tour on Saturday with a performance at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Florida.
Photo: Instagram